Christ College is delighted to host the Brecon Choir Festival for a second year and looks forward to welcoming the Gents of St John’s. As a gesture of support for the Brecon Choir Festival Christ College is waiving all fees for the hire of the Chapel.
The Chapel at Christ College is an integral and important part of daily life at Christ College with services on most days for different year groups at the school. Christ College is fortunate to have its own 50 strong choir made up of pupils at the school.
The Chapel at Christ College Brecon dates from the thirteenth century when it was the chapel of the Dominican Friary of St Nicholas (est. c1250). After the dissolution of the friary (1538), it became the chapel for the College of Christ at Brecknock founded by Henry VIII (1541).
The original chapel, comprising a choir, chancel and nave, was much larger. The roof was destroyed at the end of the Civil War and reparations were made to the choir and chancel. The nave, however, was left roofless. The Chapel was further restored (1863) under the instruction of diocesan architects Pritchard and Seddon, who also designed School House (1863). The East window of the Chapel is by Clayton and Bell to designs by Seddon.